Re: GoBSD distribution

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:43:25 -0800

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, leo wrote:

> I'm interested in trying dfBSD and the new GoBSD distro seems like a
> friendlier starting point. I'm specially interested in their use of pkgsrc. My
> only worry is that it's unclear to me what's the relation with the official
> df; ie: will pkgsrc be the official ports system?

I'm not a developer --  but because it's a long holiday weekend in the US you
may not get many responses from others.

GoBSD is run by David Rhodus, who is one of the major contributors to the
DragonFly project.  The only 'official' ports system at the moment is the
FreeBSD ports system, but that is temporary and the long-term plan is to
replace it.  What the replacement will be is undetermined at the moment.

AFAIK there is no reason that using pkgsrc would prevent you from also
using the FreeBSD ports system if you wish.  I've not used pkgsrc, but
I just read David's writeup on GoBSD and he makes it sound great.