Re: GoBSD distribution

From: David Rhodus <sdrhodus@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:38:31 -0500

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:14:01 -0500, leo <leorojas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm interested in trying dfBSD and the new GoBSD distro seems like a
> friendlier starting point. I'm specially interested in their use of
> pkgsrc. My only worry is that it's unclear to me what's the relation
> with the official df; ie: will pkgsrc be the official ports system?
> Any comments from the df developer would be appreciated.
> Also, if anyone has tried it I'm curious to know about their experience.
> Thank you very much,
> Leo

Having a version of DragonFly that just a little more friendly for
first time unix/BSD users is just what we are working to build with
the images.  Right now its still unclear if pkgsrc will stay the ports
system we will use because there are still a number of improvements we
have been working on and trying to get the changes pushed back into
the pkgsrc tree.  Perhaps some of the changes won't get pushed back
into the pkgsrc tree and we'll have to end up making a totally
different system based off of pkgsrc.  As of now pkgsrc seems like the
best place to start as uses a /opt like methodology and has some more
advanced features like pkg-views.

Right now I'm going to wait about a week to see what people think that
download and try the DragonFly ISO with pkgsrc.  Long term I think it
would be great to build this into a distribution based on DragonFly
which the number of users would over take the number of Fedora users.
Over the weekend we had a little over 10K unique downloads of the
image so we should start getting some good feedback fairly soon about
what needs to be done next to make things more usable.

--
                                            -David
                                            Steven David Rhodus