Re: DragonFly BSD wiki

From: Todd Willey <xtoddx@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 18:10:39 +0000

Sorry I havne't gotten back to you on this earlier, but I think this
should all be rolled into GoBSD.  With as few people as are working on
documentation and user-friendliness, we need to concentrate our
efforts in one area.

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 14:23:08 +0100, Devon H. O'Dell
<dodell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I've started a wiki for pretty much All Things DragonFly BSD. No, wait,
> stop! I know there are already Wikis for other internal projects
> (installer, GoBSD, etc); I know there are other resources. Why one more?
> Several reasons:

GoBSD is not an internal project.  It is a community that is
developing to help users understand the concepts behind DragonFlyBSD
and improve usability.  The web space is sponsored by Crescent Anchor,
but that is the end of any "internal" control of it.  This is like
saying that the dfwiki you have created is internal because it is
hosted by sitetronics, which is associated with offmyserver.

>   o    At the moment, there isn't really a central page which organizes
> these other online (and offline) resources that have been made for
> DragonFly BSD.

True, but why not put everything on one place?  We have created a help
wiki, hoping pepole would contribute, but there have been no
contributions so far.  Feel free to create another wiki for whatever
you would like.  Whomever shows desire to work on GoBSD can be given
moderator/administrator access and keep new content coming to the
site.

>   o    I'm starting my work on the ``Developing for DragonFly BSD with
> the C programming language" document that was recently discussed in the
> ``learning dragonfly or C'' thread on kernel@.

This would be a perfect use of GoBSD, since this document would help
clarify information for users of DragonFlyBSD, and help attract new
users.

>   o    To give (interested) developers a central place to put
> information about what they're doing (and what's still on their plate).

If you look through the blogs on GoBSD you will see that it is the
case that several developers have posted about what they are working
on.  Why make them choose to have two places to go?

> There are more uses for the Wiki, and if I thought for a couple more
> minutes, I'd probably be able to actually think of several more good
> ones, but this email's just mostly to let people know of its existance.
> So if you've got anything to feed the Wiki, please do!
>
> I know Wikis aren't always everybody's favorite things. This one is
> running MediaWiki, the same software that Wikipedia & co use as well. I
> find it to be pretty decent. YMMV.
>
> --Devon

In summary, GoBSD IS DragonFlyBSD.  We are simply trying to evangelize
it and help end users, which seems to be what you want to do, so why
work on GoBSD?

-todd[1]