DragonFly users List (threaded) for 2004-12
Newbies guide to laptop installs?
I think my frst contribution to Dragonfly will be a newbies laptop
Here is my install onto an IBM r32.
1) Used Acronis to create a 6GB partition taking space from the main
2) Booted with DFly 1.1 (12/22/04) iso CD.
3) logged in as installed.
4) choose disk ad0 to install
5) did not use whole disk, chose partition #3 that I created. Changed
/swap from 2048M to 1024M (I have 640M ram). Set home to 256M, gave * to
6) installed and allowed DFly to write boot blocks
7) proceeded with install and set timezone and root password. Installed
all avail. utilities.
8) rebooted - choose F3 - BSD on reboot.
9) ifconfig wi0 ssid my_ssid wepmode on wepkey 0xXXX (I don't have a free
cat5 on my router and dmesg spotted the wifi)
10) ifconfig wi0 up
11) dhclient -v wi0
I did not get a resolv.conf built here for me and I was not getting name
resolution. I needed to create resolv.conf manually.
12) edit /usr/share/example/cvsup/Freebsd-ports-supfile to
13) cvsup -g -L 2 Freebsd-ports-supfile
Installing and configuring my packages. I will get basic things
installed and then portupgrade -a. Then I will makeworld/buildworld.
I did notice one other thing, I do not have a /etc/rc.conf as per the
system-setup.html) . Should I have one? Is rc.conf configuration the
same as Freebsd 4.10? I should add basic network stuff to rc.conf -
I welcome suggestions or corrections to the above steps.