Re: Problems booting an SMP kernel

From: "Atte Peltomaki" <koston@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:07:37 +0200

> > > 	My system has the following specs.
> > > 		-VIA VT82C686A southbridge (UDMA33/66)
> >
> > This chipset is pure waste, and should not be used under any
>
> Seriously now, can I get some decent help?

<more_sarcasm>
Help you are receiving is equally decent to your equipment :P
</more_sarcasm>

> Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? Can someone at
> least point me in the right direction? Tell me which source files to
> look at? I just thought I would ask before diving in to the code to try

You can try disabling the DMA mode for starters. If you want detailed
information about the chip and how to work around it's broken-ness, I
suggest you take a look at the Linux VIA 82C686x driver. There are many
known bugs in the hardware, afaik they're mostly related to DMA mode.

> "fuck off and get a good system lamer." From reading archives of this

I'm sorry if this is how you perceived it. I have had a motherboard
equipped with the chip in question, and it was enough for me to form
a quite strong opinion about it.

Atte