Re: DragonFlyBSD not in compliance with RFC 1122

From: Gary Allan <dragonfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:10:29 +0000

sam wrote:
Jeffrey Hsu wrote:

Gary Allan wrote:

I ran into a problem today. I administer a machine that needs to sit on two separate networks and The network card is configured as:

        inet netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
        inet netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
        ether 00:10:5a:f7:6e:71
        status: active

The machine has a default route of
(Public IP addresses replaced with private.)

All is well except that is inaccessible from the Internet. A quick RTFM reveals that I need to add a second default gateway

I've resolved this by using IPFW to forward the necessary traffic from to the router but feel this is a bit of a bodge. I've noticed recent routing code commits so I'm hoping this is a good time

Can't you just add route add 192.168.2/24

this should work. I use this static route from internet to the internal LAN which located behind the second freebsd gateway.

Adding "route add 192.168.2/24" isn't appropriate as no gateway is necessary to access the subnet (See the alias netmask 0xffffff00). In fact there is already a 192.168.2 route entry and the attempt fails with "File exists".

192.168.2 link#1 UC 6 0 xl0

Traffic to or makes use of ARP. Traffic to any other routable address needs to utilise a gateway. In this case what is needed is for traffic originating from to be forwarded to and traffic originating from to be forwarded to This is why multiple default routes are needed (RFC 1122).

Currently traffic from is being forwarded to and is being dropped due to anti-spoofing rules on the router. (Only traffic from should arrive on

Hope this clears things up.

(Addresses changed to protect the innocent.)