Re: Nomenclature Issue

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 10:48:36 +0800

Matthew Dillon wrote:

:wbh wrote @ Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:30:02 +0800:
:> Folks,
:> :> The dragonflybsd.org 'downloads' web page seems to have been updated w/r :> to new nomenclature for HEAD, AKA DEVELOPMENT, PREVIEW, and RELEASE, but :> the (few) actual http and ftp repositories I have checked still have the :> old 'STABLE' etc. terminology, at least for iso's and snapshots. (Some :> mirrors are *way* out of date also..)
:
:What do you actually think the mirrors should change ?

Apologies - trying to catch both points at once -.

The mirrors, if 'mirrors' they are to be, should reflect the upstream exactly and remain current.
Some do not / are not.

:I don't think we should rename old files.
:
:Andy

I had thought of linking old name and new so available either way.. BUT.

After USENIX (and after the download rush is over) I am going to reorganize the iso-images directory. I'll probably remove all the old
'stable' ISOs or move them into an 'old-images' directory or something
like that.

-Matt
Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

ACK. That's a better way.

They should be available for record and research, before/after comparison,
reminders when a developer needs to backtrack how something was done.

If it can be done, there will be those who are doing fresh-installs of 1.0 two years
hence, confusing the living aitch out of the community when they ask
for help with a problem long-since resolved, then wingeing that DragonFlyBSD is
out of date compared to {whatever}.

Best that such not be at all easy to do, and certainly not out of accident or confusion.

Bill