Re: PC-BSD

From: Yaroslav Tarasenko <tarasenko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:15:28 +0300

Joerg Sonnenberger пишет:
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 06:32:10PM +0200, Raphael Marmier wrote:

I would be glad to have a way to install, say, apache with a private dependency tree so that when I can upgrade all the rest without worrying about breaking it (even temporarly). I've heard about pkgsrc "views". Is that it?

You can do that with many (most ?) ports too, just set LOCALBASE
e.g. to /usr/local/apache20 and build all necessary stuff. You want
to use a private package database too, of course.

Joerg

Is it elegant? Is this way supported by packaging system transparently and out-of-the-box? No.
This way of solving problems just increases disorder on HDD, thus leading system away from strict and clear FS hieararchy.

So i hope dfly initiative on building brand new packaging system that supports concurrent versions of software products without any tweaking, will be succeeded. We just all need it.