Mail Woes

From: nida@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:43:11 -0500

Hey all,

This weekend, I tried to recreate the following HOWTO to reflect the new release
and its pkgsrc infrastructure.

http://wiki.dragonflybsd.org/index.php/Set_up_an_email_server

However, I'm running into issues that neither I nor Google can resolve.  I am
hoping others on this list can help.

1)  Qpopper, the POP3 server I run, never shows its banner when I telnet to port
110 (or the one for pop3s).  After typing a one, sometimes two, commands the
connection dies.  The following error message is logged to /var/log/messages:

qpopper[PID]: in openpam_load_module(): no /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so found

Now, /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so does exist.  I have even raised its
permissions to 777.  Below is my /etc/pam.d/pop3 file.

auth required /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so try_first_pass

I hard-coded the location.  Originally pam_unix.so was in there, and that's all
that was being shown in the error message.

2)  Postfix, TLS, SASL, and saslauthd.  I'm not sure who's to blame for this, so
I'll line them all up.  When trying to send mail, I get the following logged to
/var/log/messages:

postfix/smtpd[PID]: fatal: no SASL authentication mechanisms

Again, telnetting to the appropriate port will immediately return you back if
you type any character.  Trying `testsaslauthd` will successfully authenticate
me (and error out if I type something incorrectly).

Ideas?  I can post conf files, etc. as soon as I get apache working...

Thanks,

Adrian