Re: Mail Woes

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:40:18 -0800 (PST)

:Hey all,
:This weekend, I tried to recreate the following HOWTO to reflect the new release
:and its pkgsrc infrastructure.
:However, I'm running into issues that neither I nor Google can resolve.  I am
:hoping others on this list can help.
:1)  Qpopper, the POP3 server I run, never shows its banner when I telnet to port
:110 (or the one for pop3s).  After typing a one, sometimes two, commands the
:connection dies.  The following error message is logged to /var/log/messages:
:qpopper[PID]: in openpam_load_module(): no /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so found
:Now, /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so does exist.  I have even raised its
:permissions to 777.  Below is my /etc/pam.d/pop3 file.
:auth required /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so try_first_pass
:I hard-coded the location.  Originally pam_unix.so was in there, and that's all
:that was being shown in the error message.

    Did you recompile Qpopper ?  If not its probably a library compatibility
    issue and it probably can't load the .so due to missing symbols.

:2)  Postfix, TLS, SASL, and saslauthd.  I'm not sure who's to blame for this, so
:I'll line them all up.  When trying to send mail, I get the following logged to
:postfix/smtpd[PID]: fatal: no SASL authentication mechanisms
:Again, telnetting to the appropriate port will immediately return you back if
:you type any character.  Trying `testsaslauthd` will successfully authenticate
:me (and error out if I type something incorrectly).
:Ideas?  I can post conf files, etc. as soon as I get apache working...

    I'm not sure about the SASL issue.  If these are program binaries
    created from 1.2 there could be library compatibility issues and
    recompiling them might be the only solution.