Re: Any serious production servers yet?

From: Danial Thom <danial_thom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 10:55:54 -0700 (PDT)

--- Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>     Well, keep in mind, that in 2-3 years time
> there won't *BE* any
>     single-cpu computers any more, at least not
> for consumer offerings.
>     both Intel's and AMD's entire manufacturing
> line is going to be
>     dual-core at a minimum, and higher-end
> products will be at
>     least quad-core.
>     Even as we speak Intel has begun repricing
> its dual-core cpus to be
>     on par with their single-core cpus.  AMD
> has already dropped their
>     dual-core prices considerably, too.  The
> writing is on the wall.

As of NOW, the price differential between a
single core 2.6ghz Opteron and a dual-core one is
about 120%. I can't think of many applications
that are going to push a 2.6Ghz opteron that
justify spending more than twice as much. Of
course that's all going to change in a few months
when AMD loses their advantage. I don't see the
point of using a dual-core 2.0 when I can get
equal performance from a single 2.6 for less
money. So the price drops so far are meaningless,
given the OS's ability to utilize the cpus.

Do You Yahoo!?