Re: Any serious production servers yet?

From: Yiorgos Adamopoulos <adamo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 21:36:40 +0300

On 2006-05-30, Danial Thom <danial_thom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And what kind of volume are you pushing through
> your firewalls peak, in terms of bandwidth and
> pps?

The main reason that we chose DragonFlyBSD was that it could *install* on a
Siemens RX200S2 when all the other BSDs failed (and we prefer pf for packet
filtering).  1.2.0 at the begining and _Preview now.

Our bottleneck in terms of pps was our cisco card (which we now changed and we
do not see any problems).  The last thrity minutes it served 23,112
connections, 3,369,221 packets and 2,578,423,409 bytes at a load arround 0.02.

The only thing that goes slow (compared to inferior and IDE DragonFlyBSD
systems that we also run elswhere) is make buildworld and I am guessing that it
has to do with the disks.  However it is more of a nuissance than a problem and
have not investigated further.

> I guess I should have qualified my question. If
> you're pushing less than 100Kb/s then there's
> really no reason to spend 3X the dollars on a
> multi-core system. So the only real value of an
> MP system is how it performs under heavy load, if
> you're talking about a server and not a desktop
> box.

Well for now we use uniprocessor systems, so my mistake - it did not cross my
mind that you wanted oppinions on MP systems only.