Re: A mobile user's wishlist

From: Thomas Schlesinger <schlesinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 18:43:53 +0200

Am Samstag, 8. Juli 2006 18:08 schrieb Rob Andrews:
> Thomas Schlesinger wrote:
> > > I don't know about console, but isn't the xorg 'synaptics' module
> > > enough to get that working?
> >
> > you don't need the synaptics driver to get your synaptics touchpad
> > working, but you can't use some features then, like the vertical
> > scrolling.  I would like to use exactly this feature, it's as helpful as
> > a scrollwheel at a mouse, I don't want to miss it.
> Yes, the touchpad presents itself as a ps/2 style device, but when using
> X it does add the button 4 & 5 emulation.
> I haven't tried the xorg synaptics driver in dragonfly yet - I should
> imagine that it builds, but does it not work?

there's no synaptics driver in xorg for pkgsrc. If you try to load it, you'll
get this message in your Xorg.0.log:

> (II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module synaptics
> (II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
> (EE) Failed to load module "synaptics" (module does not exist, 0)

If you look at /usr/pkg/xorg/lib/modules/input, you won't find a

The driver, I'm speaking about, is this one:

FreeBSD hat a port for it in x11-servers/synaptics. I'm not sure, if there are
some prerequisites for the kernel necessary, so I posted it on users@ instead
of the pkgsrc list.