Re: KDE problems

From: Petr Janda <elekktretterr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 03:16:09 +1000

I just noticed this error that gets print into stdout when I try to save changes in menu editor:

X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
 Major opcode:  20
 Minor opcode:  0
 Resource id:  0x1e00628

Thomas Schlesinger wrote:
Am Dienstag, 29. August 2006 09:16 schrieb Petr Janda:
Hi,
I just installed kdebase3 and I have problems.

1) Clicking Contol Center in the KDE menu doesnt open control center,
but running kcontrolcenter from the shell does open it. I havent tested
if its actually usable if ran from the command line, because.... keep
reading
2) Menu editor doesnt work at all! Right click on the KDE menu button,
try opening the menu editor, nothing happens. Running kmenuedit from
command line opens the menu editor, but if I modify anything and click
save, it saves it into ~/.config/menus but it doesnt actually appear in
the menu. Close kmenuedit, start it up again, and all the entries I just
added were gone/didnt appear in the menu editor.

It seems that KDE is ignoring ~/.config/menus

Any help much appreciated.

Petr

Petr,

KDE 3.5.4 works for me without the problems, you've described.

Just a shot in the dark:

Create a file /root/.xinitrc with this content:
startkde

Start the X server via startx and walk through the KDE setup assistant and end KDE after that. Then try again to login via kdm and see, if your problems are gone.

If that doesn't help, create a new user account, and see, if your problems are occuring with this new account, too. If the problems disappear, it seems to be something wrong into your ~/.kde directory.

Thomas