Re: boot problem, disk mess.. thinking of suicide.

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 05:25:16 +0800

Vladimir Mitiouchev wrote:

*snip*

PS2> Thanks God i wasn't running softupdates!

Muhh... don't be too sure...

'Softupdates' have saved me far more grief than they have ever contributed to.

Lot's of folk misunderstand what they do - and how quickly they can post if all the kit is properly configured.

SCSI hardware RAID1 with write-through cache settings is the most bullet-proof, but atacontrol or gmirror software RAID1 on dumb PATA/SATA IDE are decent too.

My PowerBook is the only machine I have that does not have RAID.

Either way, make your own cables from top-quality connectors and wire or buy the best you can find [1]

That cheap cable just cost you 6+ hours of life that no amount of money can ever buy back for you, and you aren't yet fully back to 'normal'.

;-)

Bill

[1] One of the Apollo astronauts, asked how he felt about the launch, replied with words to the effect:

"How would *you* feel sitting atop all those billions of dollars worth of equipment, and knowing that every last nut and bolt of it had been supplied by the lowest bidder?"