Re: where is cvsup?

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 18:24:10 +0200

On 06.10.2006, at 10:37, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
	Last I checked csup didn't handle repository mode, there are
alternatives to cvsup for repository copies - but when I used cvsync I
wound up with a repository copy that missed some updates and rsync is
slower and harder on the servers than cvsup I think.

cvsync is broken as it re-oders the cvs files so that they are incompatible with cvs (in some cases). cvsup does maintain a supfile, so the server doesn't have to scan the repo all the time, so that's less resource consuming that rsync, i agree. nevertheless I don't think it is a problem for servers to serve rsync. when I update my cvs tree from chlamydia, the server scans the tree faster than my local (faster) box, probably because the tree is already cached in memory.

I think the times for optimizing every last single bit to transfer or not are quite over (considering amounts of bandwidth wasted by spam).

cheers
  simon