Re: Network Slowdowns?

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 13:26:08 -0700 (PDT)

:Curious if anyone else has experienced this:
:
:Network gets really slow, I've got a 100m local network connection:
:
:xl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
:		[ snip ]
:        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
:
:But, when I copy files via NFS especially, but also sftp.. I get around
:1-2 mbyte/sec. This is slower than the airport on a mac, claiming to be
:about 1/10 the speed.
:
:If I reboot the machine, or issue this command:
:
:ifconfig xl0 down ; ifconfig xl0 up
:...

    There are a couple of possibilities.  One is that the driver is broken
    or can't handle that particular card or motherboard device.  Typically
    when that happens you get 'watchdog timeout' messages on the console.
    Run 'dmesg' to see if you get any such messages.

    If you are not getting watchdog timeout messages then it could be
    cabling or auto-negotiation problem, or an ARP problem (two machines
    on the network trying to use the same IP address).

    What kernel version are you running?