Re: Network Slowdowns?

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 18:19:08 +0800

Jamie wrote:

*SNIP* (all details already posted)

> (I use 3Com on all machines)

Without digressing into decades of *why*, I can just about guarantee that replacing the offending card with almost-anything-else, from el-cheapo Realtek to Gig-E Intel, probable exception of anything-SiS, will cure the problem without further ado.

Cost you perhaps US$ 10 to try that if you don't already have some other make of NIC handy.

3Com seem to fall into either 'solved all problems' or 'created a problem' extremes all too often.

We *always* replace 3Com on general principal when encountered, and at our own (not client) expense. Not about right or wrong, its about what works *always* and what doesn't always work.

The time saved the past dozen years has been more than worth the very modest cost of replacement NIC's. Life is too short .... etc.