Re: Donation system?

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 21:00:05 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, December 17, 2007 7:39 pm, Petr Janda wrote:

> idea to set up some kind of a shopping cart where we could lets say sell
> DragonFly cds, and also people could donate money: i for one would be one
> of them and i think we'd find a few more people that would donate a few
> bucks.

I'd like to do something like this; however, it (traditionally) requires
the incorporation of a non-profit like what's happened with FreeBSD and
NetBSD, with someone handling donation money.  Otherwise, there isn't
really a specific person to receive the money, or any tax benefit for the
donating entity.

I looked into it a bit; it's mostly paperwork for setting up a nonprofit.
Someone would have to be willing to do the printing and shipping; there's
companies out there that will do the work for you (e.g. Cafepress, Zazzle,
etc, for clothing), but the additional costs from them will be over 100%
of the cost of doing it yourself.