Re: We suck in power management ...

From: Thomas Donnelly <TDonnelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:39:27 -0500

Thomas Donnelly wrote:
Hasso Tepper wrote:
Matthew Dillon wrote:
est is far prefered over the ACPI idle hook. The ACPI hook is a
disaster and frankly shouldn't be used.

Well ... I have here hacked together est module for core 2 CPU's (mainly work done by Michal Belczyk [1]) and the result is that although changing voltage has effect, changing frequency doesn't have any effect to power usage or heat. CPU is just slower. I havent digged deep into it yet, though ...
[1] - http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/bugs/2007-04/msg00099.html

Just thought I would chime in here. Most people already know this, but, the reason that the lower frequency is brought into play is that the decreased voltage isn't stable at that frequency. A lower frequency allows a lower voltage.

-=Tom