Re: 7-Zip / Bzip2

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 17:47:53 -0700 (PDT)

:Hi,
:
:Posted this to kernel@ by accident, please reply here instead :)
:
:I just wanted to know if there's any interest for the devs to add
:something like p7zip to the base install; even if it's a simple fork
:that only supports 7z.  While 7zip is about as obnoxiously slow as
:bzip2, it usually gets much better compression.
:
:That's not why I'm suggesting it though - what really gets me is that
:bzip2 has no "list" option.  Does that 10 gb bzip2 backup archive
:contain 100gb of data, or 200gb?  Other than dumping the entire
:archive to /dev/null through wc, there's really no way to do it.  Gzip
:will list files, but its compression ratio is awful.
:
:I imagine that other OSes are going to be watching Dragonfly very
:carefully in the next while as new the features (especially HAMMER)
:mature.  Maybe adding 7z will get yet another bandwagon going and
:there will be support across the board :)
:
:Best Regards,
:Ben Cadieux

    Well, I think not in base, at least not unless a lot of people
    are using it.  p7zip is readily available via the pkgsrc tree
    and that's the most reasonable method of accessibility for
    now.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>