Re: 7-Zip / Bzip2

From: "Samuel J. Greear" <dragonflybsd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 19:39:23 -0700

"Matthew Dillon" <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote in message 200805060047.m460lrhj094676@apollo.backplane.com">news:200805060047.m460lrhj094676@apollo.backplane.com...

:Hi, : :Posted this to kernel@ by accident, please reply here instead :) : :I just wanted to know if there's any interest for the devs to add :something like p7zip to the base install; even if it's a simple fork :that only supports 7z. While 7zip is about as obnoxiously slow as :bzip2, it usually gets much better compression. : :That's not why I'm suggesting it though - what really gets me is that :bzip2 has no "list" option. Does that 10 gb bzip2 backup archive :contain 100gb of data, or 200gb? Other than dumping the entire :archive to /dev/null through wc, there's really no way to do it. Gzip :will list files, but its compression ratio is awful. : :I imagine that other OSes are going to be watching Dragonfly very :carefully in the next while as new the features (especially HAMMER) :mature. Maybe adding 7z will get yet another bandwagon going and :there will be support across the board :) : :Best Regards, :Ben Cadieux

   Well, I think not in base, at least not unless a lot of people
   are using it.  p7zip is readily available via the pkgsrc tree
   and that's the most reasonable method of accessibility for
   now.

-Matt
Matthew Dillon
<dillon@backplane.com>

I do not know if DragonFly is actively tracking libarchive, but it seems to be "the ticket" for implementing new archiving/compression methods through a common mechanism. If one wanted to see 7z functionality in base implementing a libarchive provider is probably the way to go.

I did a quick test at one point on the dfly distribution ISO and as I
recall 7z was ~60% the size of bzip2 using standard settings.
food+thought, etc.

Sam