Re: HEADS UP: Dropping ISA & EISA support

To: Eugene <dfuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 19:28:41 +0100

Eugene schrieb:
Another question I have is how the system will behave on old ISA-based chipsets, like i430 or i440 and some chipsets heaving an ISA-bus (some versions of i815 boards have the slot, while nothing was ever plugged in it)?
A bad example of Linux kernels on non-MMX processors (unconditionally halts on any non-MMX CPU, like Cyrix 150+) is the thing I really fear of.

The current plan is to only remove support for what needs a physical ISA card, mostly device drivers, such as for example rdp(4), as sephe wrote.

The exception will be vga(4) which does not (yet) have PCI support and treats all cards alike, be it ISA or PCI.

We'll certainly not remove ISA bus support as a whole, as things like atkbdc(4), orm(4), sio(4) etc. will still need it.

Does that alleviate your fear? :)

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx