Re: OT - was Hammer or ZFS based backup, encryption

From: Robert Luciani <rluciani@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:35:47 +0100

Freddie Cash wrote:
> Booting FreeBSD 7.1 into a full KDE 4.2
> desktop takes less than 5 minutes.  This is using 3x 120 GB SATA
> drives in a single raidz1.

Wow 5 minutes?!
I don't think I'd be pushing it if I said that seems really slow. :S
On such a fast machine I'd be irritated if it took over a minute to boot. On my
3Ghz Athlon X2 w/ 2Gb RAM, DragonFly boots vkernels, hosting services, and Gnome
in about a minute with my two 500Gb hammer drives.

--
Robert Luciani
Chalmers University of Technology, SWE