Re: OT - was Hammer or ZFS based backup, encryption

From: Freddie Cash <fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:52:50 -0800

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:35 AM, Robert Luciani <rluciani@gmail.com> wrote:
> Freddie Cash wrote:
>> Booting FreeBSD 7.1 into a full KDE 4.2
>> desktop takes less than 5 minutes.  This is using 3x 120 GB SATA
>> drives in a single raidz1.
>
> Wow 5 minutes?!
> I don't think I'd be pushing it if I said that seems really slow. :S
> On such a fast machine I'd be irritated if it took over a minute to boot. On my
> 3Ghz Athlon X2 w/ 2Gb RAM, DragonFly boots vkernels, hosting services, and Gnome
> in about a minute with my two 500Gb hammer drives.

That includes the BIOS/POST delays to find the USB stick, a
boot.config delay, the boot menu delay, loading the kernel off a USB
stick delay, loading a bunch of kernel modules off the USB stick, the
SCSI sub-system delay, starting a bunch of daemons including Samba,
DHCPd, Apache, NFSd, and KDM, and then logging in.  The time from the
kernel being loaded to the desktop appearing is about 2 minutes.  It
just takes a long time to get to the point where the kernel is loaded.
 :)

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com