Re: Hammer or ZFS based backup, encryption

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 01:43:25 +0800

Jasse Jansson wrote:

On Feb 23, 2009, at 8:10 AM, Bill Hacker wrote:

*trimmed*

But there we are, Startup 'seeding; is unavidable, but thereafter ... among other things, looking to reduce the reliance on rsync (and similar CVS'ish or git'ish techniques) having to 'inventory' stuff at a high per-file level that a 'hammer mirror-stream' (or GMIRROR to networked RAID) could do 'as you go along' at a lower level - closer to the actual blocks as they are being written.

How, and how well, would ZFS handle redundant pools on separate sites?

And can that be a streaming process - even if that means the redundancy target is r/o for 'the duration', as a hammer slave would be?

I have not tried it myself, but there is a ZFS send/receive command, that might do the trick.

Kaiser Jasse -- Authorized Stealth Oracle

Looks promising. VERY promising...:

http://docs.huihoo.com/opensolaris/solaris-zfs-administration-guide/html/ch06s03.html

Thanks for pointing that out....

Bill