Re: OT - was Hammer or ZFS based backup, encryption

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 01:52:00 +0800

6DAF-6B80-4ADE-A66D-7AC352F6A175@yberwaffe.com> <20090223164444.GA64491@icarus.home.lan>

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 05:19:14PM +0100, Jasse Jansson wrote:
>>> One minute 45 seconds into Xfce4 for a VIA C7 @ 1.5 GHz, 2 GB DDR-533,
>>> all-hammerfs on 2 natacontrol RAID1 'antique' 60 GB PATA UDMA 100 HDD.
>>>
>>> One minute 4 seconds into Xfce4 for an Intel T2130 @ 1.86 GHz 2 GB ?
>>> RAM, 1 X 120 GB 2.5" HDD, DFLY on 33 GB ad0s1, UFS2 with one hammer
>>> partition.
>>>
>>> RIADz looks to be the wall-time hog....
>> RAIDZ is known to be slow, even the main developers admit it if you
>> force them to it.
>
> I'd recommend the individual seeing ~5 minute boot times try disabling
> ZFS prefetching.  Place vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="1" in
> /boot/loader.conf and reboot the machine.

For same-box use, I'm happy to use hardware RAID or even a low-level
(block) pseudo RAID, such as [n]atacontrol.

A good LSi controller or such with decent cache (and battery) can make
even a marginal fs work faster..

'back in the days of .. '  100 Mbps TCNS (ARCnet), an EISA-bus Novell fs
with twin CDC Wren IV on twin SCSI controllers (duplexed) was faster
over-the-wire than any local HDD we could buy for ISA-bus 386'en.

OTOH, Netware had grwon up on ARCnet, cheated by assuming zero-error
links. Which TCNS, on either fibre-optic or coax actually delivered.
Unlike 10-Base-T Ethernet of that era...

Bill