Re: USB image

From: Tron <tron@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 18:40:54 -0700

   Thanks Dylan, it is clear now.
   However, given your example of those other Linux ditro's, I am wondering why the DF group decided to build their images this way if there is an alternative.  I mean if DF seriously  wants to expand its ranks the best way is from the herds of Windows users and most of them know nothing about Unix.  So the easier the route to see what DF can do - the more likely is someone to put in the effort.  With this USB example alone: first, a newbie has to get the USB image, second realize (probably the hard way 'cause there is no mention of this on the download page) that the writing app is completely different from the one they use to write their CD images with and ultimately see that even though the DF image is small he can't move anything else onto the flash disk (which may be particularly frustrating if they only have the big one they just bought)...  I think it is easy to see how many novices may get discouraged with DF and give up almost before they began.  Fortunately, I am strongly motivated, have been to DF's IRC channel before and have finally succeeded in signing up on this help list (which also wasn't the most straight forward thing ever... and could not have happened without my knowledge of IRC).  My point is, I think you are a great bunch of guys who have done one hell of a job, but if you want to attract not just the most experience computer users, the route from A-B, never mind from A-Z should be easier.

Many thanks,
Tron.