Re: avalon out of sync?

From: Jan Lentfer <Jan.Lentfer@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 00:01:49 +0100

Am 18.12.2010 23:45, schrieb Antonio Huete Jiménez:
Hi

Would it be worth setting up some kind of monitoring on the core servers (leaf,crater,avalon,...) so we can watch the availability and certain incidents in order to decrease downtime of the services?

People could be notified via email for example.

Cheers,
Antonio Huete

I would agree to that. A full disk isn't really an incident that you want to bring down your service nowadays.

As I am running an nagios installation already I could offer to set up the monitoring. Basic monitoring would be just the reachability of certain services (anything that has an open port basically). More sophisticated monitoring (disks full level, SMART, load, w/e) would be quite easy also with standard nagios tools and setting up OpenVPN tunnels between the machines and my nagios host. I run a OpenVPN server already and do such checks with my brother's server in a hosting farm (including backups to my Bacula installation).

If there is interest in setting up something like that let me know, I would offer to basically make all the configuration. I would only need help from the respective machine owners when setting up local checks and creating VPN tunnels as long as I am not granted root access, but it should be quite easy anyway.

Jan

--
professional: http://www.oscar-consult.de
private: http://neslonek.homeunix.org/drupal/