Re: Snapshots maintenance

From: Siju George <sgeorge.ml@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 08:13:54 +0530

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Francisco Reyes <lists@stringsutils.com> wrote:
> How does one adjust the number of snapshots for hammer to keep?
> In the man page it says:
> HAMMER version 3+
> The configuration file is saved in file system meta-data
> The format of the configuration file is:
> snapshots  <period> <retention-time> [any]
> What ist he name of the configuration file?
> .snapshots.period ? That files does not seem human readable/editable.

hammer config /path/to/pfs

will show the contents on the conf file to edit it use

hammer viconfig /path/to/pfs

> To delete a snapshot do I just delete the link and prune?

no thant won't work with ver 3

 snaprm path ...

     snaprm transid ...

     snaprm filesystem transid ...
	     (HAMMER VERSION 3+) Remove a snapshot given its softlink or
	     transaction id.  If specifying a transaction id the snapshot is
	     removed from file system meta-data but you are responsible for
	     removing any related softlinks.

	     If a softlink path is specified the filesystem and transaction id
	     is derived from the contents of the softlink.  If just a transac-
	     tion id is specified it is assumed to be a snapshot in the HAMMER
	     filesystem you are currently chdir'd into.  You can also specify
	     the filesystem and transaction id explicitly.

Edit config file and prune

> Don't see any difference in df. When/how is the space regained?
> Had a lot of extra data so now that I cleaned things up I want to delete the
> snapshots with the extra data to get the space back.

after pruning you need to reblock to gain space

hope this helps :-)