Re: hal and udev

From: Chris Turner <c.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 03:23:22 +0000

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 09:21:58AM +0000, Roelof Wobben wrote:

Disclaimer: not a gnome dev / only familiar at high level -

> It is correct that Dragonfly uses udev instead of the deprecated hal.

As I take it - hal is a gnome related hardware layer so e.g.
gnome applications can do things like mounth thumbdrives, etc
without needing to directly interface to the underling os -

whereas udev is the actual linux devfs implementation -

though I haven't dug into gnome lately so maybe theres a gnome
udev as well these days.. or ??

dragonfly has its own devfs implementation - I'm not sure
what the gnome VFS layer uses to interact with this ..

> And which version of Gnome is avaible ?

This depends on which version of pkgsrc you are tracking -
if you're wanting to use binary packages we typically
follow the latest stable branch -

   http://pkgsrc.se/x11/gnome-desktop

shows that pkgsrc-CURRENT is at 2.32 and the last few pkgsrc stable
branches have been at 2.30+

The various makefiles used in the pkgsrc tree should give you
an idea of the build options selected.

You should also be able to browse the available binary packages for
dragonfly though I don't have URL handy at present.

Cheers,

- Chris