Re: pkgsrcv2.git not syncing correctly; around 400 missing files

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 11:58:30 -0700 (PDT)

:I have been using pkgsrc from our git mirror (pkgsrcv2), but I recently
:noticed some patches were missing as it caused me to submit a bad patch
:to pkgsrc while fixing multimedia/xine-lib port, and since then I've
:found many missing files.
:I pulled pkgsrc via CVS and created a script to compare both
:repositories.  I had to tell diff to ignore differences that we caused
:by CVSID tags (e.g. $NetBSD$ and $Id$) because for some reason these
:CVSIDs were the only difference in hundreds of files.
:The result is attached.
:367 files are shown as missing and the remaining 36 are shown as different.
:At the very least, this report could be used to manually sync
:pkgsrcv2.git, but it appears something systematic is amiss due to the
:large number of missing patches.  Hopefully this can be fixed?

    Hmm.  It looks like the rsync our script is running to get the CVS
    archive is failing.  I'm getting tons of these sorts of messages
    in the logs:

    rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "/archive/NetBSD-CVS/xsrc/external/mit/xwininfo/dist/man/xwininfo.man,v": Unknown error: 0 (0)

    I'm not sure what is going on.  The directory structure looks ok.
    The lstat() it is failing on, when I ktrace, is returning a proper
    ENOENT error code.

    If I start with a clean, empty target directory I get the same
    problem.  rsync is trying to stat stuff which doesn't exist and
    is then complaining about it.  It thinks the error code is 0 when
    it isn't.  This is blasted confusing.  I am running this rsync:

    /usr/pkg/bin/rsync -aHS --delete --exclude '#cvs.lock' rsync://anoncvs.NetBSD.org/cvsroot /archive/NetBSD-CVS

. ..
13690 rsync    0.000007 CALL  lstat(0xbfbff2f0,0xbfbfe9e0)
13690 rsync    0.000003 NAMI  "CVSROOT/config"
13690 rsync    0.000016 RET   lstat -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
13690 rsync    0.000074 CALL  write(0x2,0xbfbfd470,0x60)
13690 rsync    0.000014 GIO   fd 2 wrote 96 bytes
       "rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "/archive/NetBSD-CVS/CVSROOT/config": Unknown error: 0 (0)"
13690 rsync    0.000005 RET   write 96/0x60

    I have verified that it does not try to create the file beforehand
    in the ktrace.  Insofar as I can tell there's nothing wrong with
    HAMMER or the directory structure.

    rsync's memory use does hit around 32MB, then stabilizes, then a short
    time later it starts spewing out tons of these errors.  I wonder if
    there is an issue with rsync's memory use?