Re: Install DragonFlyBSD on 48 MB RAM

From: Justin Sherrill <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 13:33:35 -0500

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM,  <v_2e@ukr.net> wrote:
> And also, somebody pointed out in this
> thread that the .tar archive with the pkgsrc tree may not align well
> with my current DragonFlyBSD version, or have I misunderstood something?
> Anyway, where can I download the archive with the pkgsrc tree?

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/pkgsrc-2011Q4/pkgsrc.tar.gz

I'll go into detail on the version issue.  There are quarterly
releases of pkgsrc, labeled by year and quarter.  The most recent one
is 2011Q4.  The next one will be 2012Q1.  Those quarterly releases are
made with a few weeks of bugfixing in pkgsrc, with no drastic changes,
so they should have more working, stable packages than during normal
pkgsrc development.

DragonFly 3.0 was built with 2011Q4, so any existing packages on there
were from 2011Q4.  That pkgsrc tarball represents pkgsrc as it is this
week, so it may build newer versions of some packages, including any
that came with your DragonFly installation.  That's not necessarily
bad; it just means that some pkgsrc packages already on your system
may be upgraded as a consequence of using this newer pkgsrc tarball.

There is a chance there would be more packages in pkgsrc that would
not build when it's not a quarterly build.  For example, if a
frequently-used library like gettext or libjpeg was being upgraded,
and a lot of packages would need to be changed to accommodate that.

The pkg_radd tool will download pre-built binary packages, but they
are built using a quarterly release, so again you may have version
mismatches if you download the tarball and build something from that,
and then use pkg_radd to download something else that is dependent on
an older version of the same library.

There is no pkgsrc tarball that goes with 2011Q4, that I know of,
which would solve this problem.

My advice would be to download the tarball, untar it to /usr/pkgsrc,
and then go from there.  Binary packages would be faster, but it'll
require a bit more fiddling in case of conflicts, and I don't want to
throw that at you as you are learning a new system.