Re: /bin/ls vs .dotted files

From: Chris Turner <c.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 22:04:06 -0500

On 09/14/12 10:57, Andrey N. Oktyabrski wrote:

> I think this 35-years old mistake must be corrected: "-A" option
 > must be off by default for all users.

Clearly - this is not a "mistake" - since it was deliberately added
and then deliberately merged into 4.2BSD.

I think the 'mistake', is deciding to willy-nilly change something
that has been in place for 35 years because someone expects something
that is not linux to be linux and decides to complain about it instead
of reading/understanding/etc [1].

Again - noone is saying that we should change the 'inconsistency' in
'if in a tty, use ls -1 by default' logic, or various traditional BSD
ps flags, such as 'ps T', 'ps j', our conflict in 'ps e' w/r/t POSIX,
etc.

... or maybe they now will since I have mentioned these things that they
were likely unaware of prior to my mentioning it. doh!

Cheers,

- Chris

[1] http://tomayko.com/writings/that-dilbert-cartoon