Re: /bin/ls vs .dotted files

From: Chris Turner <c.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 22:07:31 -0500

This is most interesting.

On 09/14/12 09:30, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> The ls.c modified by Joy in 1977 included:
> See that -A didn't enable/disable but simply toggled the behavior.

... which defaulted to 'on' for superuser

> It didn't exist in the 6th or 7th editions (where the code was from).

... along with '-1 in a pipe' behavior, column formatting, etc.

> It was not documented until the code was replaced in 1989 and the
> behaviour changed.

... to being an 'on-only' flag

Digging further - it looks like the 'toggle' behavior was revoked
somewhere between 4.2 and 4.3BSD and not in 1989 as you suggest:

# grep sccs bin/ls.c
static char sccsid[] = "@(#)ls.c        5.6 (Berkeley) 5/12/86";
# sed -n -e '84,85p' -e '109,110p' bin/ls.c
         if (getuid() == 0)
                 case 'A':
                         Aflg++; break;

So - if we take 4.2BSD as 'correct' w/r/t intent (which is reasonable) -
4.3BSD introduced a bug whereby '-A' does not disable for the root user.

Coincedentally, Solaris's /usr/ucb/ps looks to be based on 4.3 sources
and so also carries this 'cant disable -A for root' problem.

> I think the -A documentation regardless of version makes no sense.

Indeed ls.u from 2BSD and ls.1 from 3BSD, 4.2BSD AND 4.3BSD make *0* mention
of -A at all.

So really - given this clarified context - it looks like '-I' is a hack
to fix a 'bug' introduced in 4.3BSD, likely because the 4.2BSD
version was not properly documented as something like:

      -A      Toggle listing of 'All' (hidden) files.
              Turns off this behavior for the superuser,
              and turns it on for unprivileged users.

.. and 'hidden' dot files are still not really documented and
probably should be.

So perhaps the best solution to allow historical 'root -A' behavior,
and also 'non-A' behavior for root, is to revert to the original 2BSD
behavior of  using -A as a toggle, fix the documentation bug, and advise
new users to read ls(1), glob(3), and find(1) if they are somehow
confused about *this* system not having the same userland as some
other system and are having difficulty with porting their shell

- Chris