DragonFly Release 2.2.1 - 26 April 2009
The DragonFly 2.2 release is here! The HAMMER filesystem is considered production-ready in this release; It was first released in July 2008. The 2.2 release represents major stability improvements across the board, new drivers, much better pkgsrc support and integration, and a brand new release infrastructure with multiple target options.
Three release options are now available: Our bare-bones CD ISO, a DVD ISO which includes a fully operational X environment, and a bare-bones bootable USB disk-key image (less than 512M).
The release ISO images should be available on most of the mirrors. If the ISO is not available on a certain mirror, please try another one or download it from the DragonFly FTP server.
- MD5 (dfly-2.2.1_REL.iso.gz) = 1eef8e6b826324c8f4123b07699aa70e
- MD5 (dfly-gui-2.2.1_REL.iso.gz) = b0fb27267e3af944d02a89f80ab0a518
- MD5 (dfly-img-2.2.1_REL.img.gz) = 40847a847abff1bd9a617c7152d41a8f
- MD5 (dfly-2.2.1_REL.iso) = 9e4ecffaa7f9b0843c5e354e1711f9aa
- MD5 (dfly-gui-2.2.1_REL.iso) = ed7078efb2256abd3b0d6eb9cc8dc13d
- MD5 (dfly-img-2.2.1_REL.img) = cddb5437d7e827f029e205c97162f436
We offer over 7300 pre-built pkgsrc packages for this release. The pkg_radd(1) utility may be used to download pre-built binary packages. By default this script will query the main package site for a random redirect to one of our mirrors. The path can be overridden by setting BINPKG_SITES in /etc/settings.conf.
To get a list of all packages, let pkg_search(1) download the summary file for that release:
# pkg_search -d
DragonFly 2.2.1 Release Notes
- Fixes for libthread_xu: MAP_STACK and an errno leak.
- Bug fixes for sppp(4), and i4b(4).
- Fixed recursive lock in detached close of /dev/tty.
- HAMMER VFS: Added missing hammer_rel_volume() call in deadlock/retry case.
- Allowed the IP_MINTTL socket option to be set to zero.
- Fixed an installworld failure due to kernel fixes and a libthread_xu issue.
- Installer now works correctly in the console, and properly creates device files if they don't exist.
- Updates for msdosfs, pax(1), and magic(3)
- Allowed uid/gid/flags changes to fail if running cpdup as a user
- Synced zoneinfo database with tzdata2009f from elsie.
- FreeBSD-SA-09:05.telnet - fix environment based code execution vulnerability
DragonFly 2.2.0 Release Notes
- A new DVD ISO release image is now available, in addition to the CD release.
- The new DVD release has a full X environment ready-to-go and many packages pre-installed.
- A full pkgsrc tar is now available on the CD/DVD in /usr.
- Full sources tar now available on the DVD (kernel sources only on the CD), in /usr.
- The nrelease build now trivializes package selection for people creating customized releases.
- The installer is now able to create a HAMMER filesystem setup.
- First step towards AMD64 support (done by Jordan Gordeev during the Google Summer of Code 2008).
- The system control intr_mpsafe is enabled by default.
- Move /kernel to /boot/kernel and /modules to /boot/modules.
- Add RFC3542 support (done by Dashu Huang during the Google Summer of Code 2008).
- Add HW checksum support to the loopback interface, which doubles performance.
- acpi_cpu(4) update. It's now possible to use higher (lower power usage) C states than C1 in modern (multicore) CPUs.
- First steps to use network threads without the Big Giant Lock (this feature is considered experimental).
- Fixed CVE-2008-2476 IPv6 security issue with modified patches from NetBSD.
- bridge_input works now in parallel.
- Fix bugs in dealing with low-memory situations when the system has run out of swap or has no swap.
- Major rewrite of usched_bsd4 and related support logic, plus additional improvements to the LWKT scheduler.
- Major revamping of the pageout and low-memory handling code.
- suser_* replaced with priv_* implementation from FreeBSD.
- HAMMER is now considered production-capable. Many bug fixes and other improvements have been made.
- It is now possible to boot from a HAMMER-only disk. No need for a single UFS partition for /boot. However, for production systems we still recommend a small UFS /boot followed by swap followed by one large HAMMER partition.
- Add HAMMER read support to the boot loader.
- Now uses per-mount kmalloc pools for bulk data structures, particularly for inodes and records.
- Add ACPI support module for IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad laptops (from FreeBSD).
- Add ACPI support module Asus laptops (from FreeBSD).
- Add acpi_video(4) - a driver for ACPI video extensions (from FreeBSD).
- It is possible to power down PCI devices during detach. This should save some power when using mobile devices (from FreeBSD).
- Update acpi_battery(4) related code to the latest one from FreeBSD HEAD.
- Correctly handle Intel G33 chips and add support for G45 chips to the agp(4) driver (from FreeBSD).
- Fixed CVE-2008-3831. Affects the Intel G33 series and newer only.
- Sync ciss(4) with FreeBSD's RELENG_4 branch.
- Sync iir(4) with FreeBSD. This fixes disk recognition with the Intel RAID Controller SRCU42L.
- Add support for cards with "RealTek 8102EL PCIe 10/100baseTX" chipset.
- Add polling support for jme(4).
- Add driver for Attansic PHYs (from FreeBSD).
- Add ale(4) for Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCIe ethernet controller (from FreeBSD).
- Add age(4) for Attansic/Atheros L1 gigabit ethernet controller (from FreeBSD).
- The DragonFly source repositories are now maintained with git instead of CVS. See development(7) for instructions how to clone the repository.
- A lot of man pages were updated due to the switch to git.
- Add LiveDVD support to our nrelease framework. (done by Louisa Luciani during the Google Summer of Code 2008).
- Enhance the DragonFly Mail Agent (done by Max Lindner during the Google Summer of Code 2008).
- Add a new multi-player terminal game: hunt.
- Bring in the devinfo(3) library and devinfo(8) utility from FreeBSD. The utility and library can be used to view the internal device hierarchy.
- Add devctl(4) and devd(8) from FreeBSD and enable related support in acpi_thinkpad(4).
- Update sensorsd(8) to the latest version from OpenBSD (October 2008).
- Sync libc/stdtime and zdump(8)/zic(8) with tzcode2008h from elsie.
- Symlink /dev/dsp to /dev/audio to preserve compatibility with older programs (all pkgsrc apps by default up to 2008Q3).
- A new daily periodic script cleans up all HAMMER volumes at night.
- Sync libusbhid with other BSDs. Sync usbhidctl with FreeBSD.
- Add ftw(), nftw(), associated header files and documentation.
- Fixed hundreds of warnings in various userland tools.
- i486 is now the default architecture for gcc(1).
- dntpd: Can now connect to NTP servers with IPv6 addresses.
- dntpd: Fix hang in dntpd startup when network down.
- Use BIND's resolver in libc.
- Add nsswitch.conf(5) support and add the Name Service Cache Daemon nscd(8) from FreeBSD.
- Import several pam_* modules from FreeBSD.
- Several bugs in the installer were fixed.
- nrelease: Additional to the ISO generation, nrelease can now generate an USB stick image.
- nrelease: It is now possible to build chosen pkgsrc packages in a chroot.
- telnetd: filter potentially dangerous environment variables passed from telnet client.
- Removed the ISC DHCP server and client. NOTE: If you install DragonFly 2.2 from the live CD, you already have a pkgsrc version of the DHCP server installed. If you update from a previous version, you have to install the pkgsrc version manually.
- Remove rexecd(8).
- Remove libskey(3), it is replaced by libopie.
- Remove ISA part of sr(4).
- Remove ISA network device cx(4).
- Bring in the privilege separation ready DHCP client from OpenBSD.
- Bring in pam_passwdqc from the Openwall project.
- Update OpenPAM to Hydrangea.
- Update OpenSSH to version 5.1p1.
- Update OpenSSL to version 0.9.8j.
- Sync zoneinfo database with tzdata2009b.