Vmware was Re: Announcing shell machine availability for dragonfly developers

From: Steve Mynott <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:51:23 +0100

Rik van Riel wrote:

It sure would be nice if dfbsd ran under some kind of virtual
machine.  I guess vmware would work, qemu would be awesome.

I have been building and running (as my mail relay) DFBSD under Vmware -- hosted much to my shame on Win XP sorry guys :) -- with no problems at all and at excellent speed on a P4/1.8.

It's nice being able to snapshot the entire system state before you do something likely to break it!

Vmware is an excellent product, although expensive. I haven't tried Bochs but I imagine that would also work (although at a far lower speed) and it's OSS.

-- Steve