Re: HEADS UP: Website Overhaul

From: James Frazer <jfrazer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:20:53 -0800

You should care. If more people cared about web designers using proper markup then browser designers (microsoft) would be more willing to make their browsers so that they don't suck. Consequently the web designers could spend more time on content and less time fixing strange Internet Explorer rendering problems.

Web designers use a number of 'sick' hacks to make things display properly on bad browsers - IE5/IE6 - there is a lot of overhead in dealing with strange IE problems.

I think this time could be better spent on improving the overall content and features of the site. Unfortunately users don't care about valid markup, nor do they care whether or not their browser impliments things properly.

So yes, valid markup is important.

--James

David Cuthbert wrote:

Eh.  As a user, I don't care whether the underlying site is valid XHTML,
HTML, XML, SGML, PDF, EBCDIC, ..., just so long as it's visually
appealing and I can read it.

There are arguably 30-40 other concepts/sites which are equally
compelling to link.