Re: Globbing

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:11:45 +0000

er_reader.dragonflybsd.org> <47b34981$0$856$415eb37d@crater_reader.dragonflybsd.org> <20080213203349.e9caf15b.steve@sohara.org> <47b35e26$0$848$415eb37d@crater_reader.dragonflybsd.org> <op.t6h6nlu5qvei2j@mobile29.grsu.by>

Yury Tarasievich wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 23:16:20 +0200, Bill Hacker <wbh@conducive.org> wrote:
>> Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>>> Bill Hacker <wbh@conducive.org> wrote:
>> Mind - there is more to it than just the rm or the globbing issue.
>>
>> The larger picture is a new set of predictable CLI tools for
>> large/heavily populated fs that can be safely called from <wherever> -
>> GUI's included.
>
> Bill, won't it be more productive if you sketched at least the crude outline of specification of what you envision and published it on dfly wiki?
>
> -Yury

In retrospect - certainly - and I'll try to make the time within the
next week or so to do just that.

I have to admit, that as is the case with most 'long ago and far away'
[former ] old-fart] coders, I had - as is now obvious - come to take the
'convenience' of the good work done by so many others for granted, and
had lost track of these sort of limitations long since.

Mea Culpa - I had no wish to start a distracting side trip.

That said, I remain surprised that others haven't already said, and
sooner, rather than later, words to the effect:

'Yes, historical reasons quite aside, these common and frequently needed
tools can too often be more arcane than they need to be'.

Simon's (eventual) code snippet the most concrete step - and, to date,
also the most objectively delivered -  graciously sans commentary he
must have had to bite his keyboard to resist ...

;-)

Regards,

Bill