Re: DragonFlyBSD not in compliance with RFC 1122

To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:19:05 +0000

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:The router in question is a Cisco and is dropping the packets from : that arrive on due to anti-spoofing rules. I :was just hoping for an elegant solution. As I've mentioned I added a :work-around with IPFW but I'm not pleased with it.
:I was quite surprised that FreeBSD doesn't support this even in 5.3. I :would have thought that the Zebra problem alone would be reason enough :to implement it. DragonFly is obviously affected too.
:(The Debian machines I administer would just require a "route add : gw" to add the second default route.)
:It's a problem that has gone unresolved in FreeBSD for over 18 months so :I guess it doesn't affect enough people to be a priority. I was just :wondering if it was planned for the ongoing DragonFly routing overhaul.

Ah, I thought it would wind up being something like that.
This is actually a problem that has gone unresolved for over 10 years.
I've wanted to support multiple routes to a target forever.

    The issue is that the route table module is a morass of unreadable code.
    Jeffrey Hsu has been cleaning it up, and eventually I believe we will
    be able to support multiple generic routes.  If you happen to be a
    programmer and want to take a shot at it (hint hint) the door is open!

Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

	This has been due to negligence on behalf of the BSD community.
	Anyway, this is possible target, all we need to do is bring in
	the RADIX_MPATH (multi-path routing) support from KAME, which
	was done by Itojun.  The other way to approach this problem is
	to decouple ARP from routing entries, but this is a more long
	winded approach... we could argue semantics all day. :-)

	Multi-path routing is something that is required some protocols
	like SCTP for fault tolerence.

	I suggest we use the RADIX_MPATH work from KAME tree, and adapt
	it to our new routing code; shouldn't be *that* difficult, IMO.

Hope that helps.