Re: dragonfly pdf documentation

From: Steven Shaw <steshaw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:57:21 +1000

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:28:59 +0200, Gabriel Ambuehl <gaml@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hummel Tom wrote:
>
> >I've recently and frequently experienced data loss in ext3 and reiserfs
> >produces many warnings when under load however less dataloss than ext3,
> >and xfs is IMHO the only choice Linux users have.
> >I don't know why... but that's my personal experience.
> >
> I second that. Trip over the powercord, lose data with reiser or ext3 up
> to the point where the system won't boot anymore.
> XFS just reboots, doesn't even need fsck and goes on.

Reiserfs and ext3 don't need fsck either though do they? Perhaps you
were running early/unstable versions of either ext3 or reiserfs?

I used to use XFS on Debian. I had a nasty problem once when lilo blew
away wrong partition (where XFS had some information) - sorry I don't
remember the details. It took ages to find out the necessary command
but then everything was fine. Other than that everything was fine.

Now I use reiserfs on Gentoo (comes recommended in Gentoo Handbook).
I've not had any problems. This is not very serious use - just my
laptop but it gets daily use - don't have any problems kicking out the
power cord though :).

Can anyone provide more concrete evidence to feed the filesystem
decision - particularly XFS v JFS v Reiserfs v Ext3 v BSD fs (? sorry
I'm a *BSD newbie).

Cheers,
Steve.