Re: PKGSRC will be officially supported as of the next release

From: Marcin Jessa <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 10:07:32 +0200

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 08:21:33 +0200
"Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Matthew Dillon wrote:
> <cut>
> >     This is proven out by the number
> >     of commits to dfports recently (just 2 files in the last 60 days, and
> >     18 in the last 90).  dfports has clearly outlived its usefulness.
> <cut>
> >     Having DragonFly support the PKGSRC environment will also be beneficial
> >     to PKGSRC as it will add another operating system and ensure even better
> >     portability.  NetBSD's support of PKGSRC will greatly reduce problems
> >     we would otherwise face when we start working on 64 bit support.
> <cut>
>
> I heartly agree, but I wonder how much it will be the "official" port
> infrastructure, for example (no intend to bikeshed coloring, as long as
> its green) I being a long and hardish FreeBSD user found /usr/local the
> logical places for the installed ports, do we intend to default pkgsrc
> packages installation to there?

On NetBSD all you need is to set LOCALBASE=/usr/local in /etc/mk.conf to achieve the same goal.
I do that myself as I often use the same config files on FreeBSD and NetBSD and do not want to change all the paths in the configs.
This is one more proof of PKGSRC's flexibility.
It's actually very logical to put your own applications compiled by hand to /usr/local and the ones from pkgsrc's to their own place.

Cheers,
Marcin.