Re: Multiple sounds

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:26:48 +0200

On 21.08.2006, at 11:50, Dmitri Nikulin wrote:
On 8/21/06, Petr Janda <elekktretterr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You were correct.
Is there any way to get this done automatically? Without manually
changing all multimedia programs that make sound?
No, so FreeBSD 5+ 'solved' it as part of devfs, making the free
channels appear on demand. It's possible with other hacks beneath the
kernel surface but the less of those the better.

Well, I investigated doing this at some point, but it seemed quite impossible at this time. We'd have to change the device handling, so that a driver can hand out private devices for an open and not have just one device per major/minor.

cheers
  simon