Re: 7-Zip / Bzip2

From: "Ben Cadieux" <ben.cadieux@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 11:35:56 -0700

>     Well, the issue is not so much one of download bandwidth as it is one
>     of accessibility.  Everyone has gzip, not everyone has 7z (yet).
>
>     I would rather not have multiple compression formats on the download
>     site, nor require that people have 7z in order to be able to unpack
>     our release CDs!

This is the 'bandwagon' I was referring to --- it's a chicken and egg
problem.  I can safely say I would rarely be using gzip or bzip2 if 7z
were in the base installs of all Linux/BSD releases.  No one uses
"compress" any more because gzip/bzip2 are in the base.  If they
weren't, you'd still see .Z files everywhere.

Best Regards,
Ben Cadieux