Re: Console screen corruption?

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 18:34:59 -0800

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008, Sascha Wildner wrote:

> walt schrieb:
> > > Can you try one more thing? From qemu, do 'kldload vesa', choose some
> > > valid
> > > mode number from the output of 'vidcontrol -i mode' (15, 16 or 32 bit will
> > > do), and set a VESA mode with 'vidcontrol MODE_<number>'. Tell me if the
> > > problem persists with the new resolution.
> >
> > Hey, that works!  Completely fixes the blanking-every-other-character while
> > scrolling through my command history.
> >
> > I hope that suggests a possible fix for this problem?
> >
> > (BTW I chose vidcontrol MODE_30 more or less at random.)
>
> Ok, that's not a VESA mode though (which begin at 256), but the info is useful
> anyways, although I'm a bit confused.

If you think YOU are confused, you should try sitting in front of MY machine.

> As far as I can see, 'MODE_30' should be identical to '80x50' text mode (you
> can confirm that by looking at 'vidcontrol -i mode' output and see if it says
> '80x50 in the fifth column for mode 30). But in an earlier mail (where I asked
> you to try 'vidcontrol -f 8x8 iso-8x8.fnt 80x50') you sounded as if 80x50
> didn't make a difference.
>
> So, as MODE_30 seems to work, does the problem return if you switch back from
> MODE_30 to 80x25 with 'vidcontrol 80x25'?

<sigh> The kvm folks just committed a (relatively) huge update from the qemu
folks, and I'm running it now.  As of this particular moment, today's kvm seems
to be behaving much better than yesterday's kvm.

BUT!  I know I don't need to tell you that things could change without notice.
I'll test more extensively tomorrow when I'm more awake, hoping for the best
but expecting the worst  ;o)