Re: upgrading postgres

From: Chris Turner <c.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:18:48 +0000

Pierre Abbat wrote:

I meant *on DragonFly*. I don't think I have anything installed that depends on Postgres, but I am going to install the PHP module.

Same applies - but with the additional step of managing packages..

1) Backup & Dump databases w/old pg tools (e.g. separate copy of all db data, and an export - make sure you get the 'global' data - this
is in pg docs I believe)
2) Make sure you have old pg binary packages around - otherwise, generate some from live system w/'pkg_tarup', download, whatever
3) delete old pkgs w/pkg_delete
4) install new packages however (binary or build)
5) recreate db data dir (e.g. w/initdb)
6) import data using tools, global first, then db's (this depends on how you dumped them)

sorry this isn't exact steps.. but it should be good as a guide..

I hope