Re: Ideas and questions on pkgsrc

From: "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 14:10:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010, Chris Turner wrote:

> Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> > that appears to be removable for the same reasons (overkill).  Sascha I
> > think was looking at a BSD-based replacement for groff, or maybe I'm
> > conflating it with the mandoc work.
>
> I think someone was looking at "heirloom troff" at somepoint - but
> I think that ran into incompatibilities with drift in the -man macros
> since 4.4BSD, etc. anyhow - not really relavent, just for archive sake

See replacements for man parts:
	http://mdocml.bsd.lv/
I see it is in NetBSD, DragonFly, and OpenBSD now. And in FreeBSD ports.
(You already know about this part.)

Also Thorsten at MirBSD has maintained the historical (non-c++, non-GNU)
nroff (with its additional text formatting macros and tools) since 2003.

http://www.mirbsd.org/htman/i386/man1/nroff.htm
http://www.mirbsd.org/htman/i386/man7/mandoc.htm
http://www.mirbsd.org/htman/i386/man7/ms.htm
etc ...

That could be considered to replace groff. And if anyone needs groff for
some special project then they can use it from pkgsrc.