Re: Weird entry in ISO

From: Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp_o2@xxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 14:37:28 +0200

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 08:18:32 -0400
Joe Talbott <josepht@cstone.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 02:04:25PM +0200, Przemys??aw Pawe??czyk
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Three questions.
> >
> > 1. I opened DFBSD x64 ISO in latest Red Hat Linux (Scientific Linux
> > 5.5) under the control of Midnight Commander and saw the following
> > entries within file lists (in MC panel):

> > [   -200 00 ] cpio
> > [   -201 00] mailq
> > etc
> >
> > What does it mean?
>
> I don't know.  I don't use MC.

I've met the write for the first time in my life. But I _do_ use MC.

> > 2. Why there is no Lynx (text web browser with HTTPS) and MC
> > (Midnight Commander) in basic set of applications on DFBSD x64 ISO
> > CD?
>
> We have very limited resources which makes adding every bell and
> whistle that people might want untenable.  Thus we rely on pkgsrc for
> these sorts of applications.
>
> It is my opinion that one should do one's best to know and use the
> least common denominator in unix utilities for the best
> cross-implementation experience.

I know, and I would expect such answer. No offense please, but for how
long yet such attitude will prevail in Unix community? It lingers from
80s of the last... Cenury of the last Millennium. ;-)

Regards

--
Przemysław Pawełczyk (P2O2) [pron. Pshemislav Paveltchick]
http://pp.blast.pl, pp_o2@o2.pl