Re: dragonfly pdf documentation

From: Adrian Nida <nida@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:26:32 -0500

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:57:21PM +1000, Steven Shaw wrote:

Reiserfs and ext3 don't need fsck either though do they? Perhaps you
were running early/unstable versions of either ext3 or reiserfs?

In theory yes. In practise ext3 can destroy directories under certain
circumstance, reiserfs its whole tree. It happened over the years
quite a few times to various people.

Heh, I really hate admitting this, but I lost an entire disk that was running ext3. I'm sure it was something *I* did. However, when every single directory and file ends up in /lost+found, it's hard to figure out what cause it. Of course, praying to the backup gods only works if the person responsible for backups has given them a sacrifice. Arrgh, that was a bad day.

Adrian
begin:vcard
fn:Adrian Michael Nida
n:Nida;Adrian
org:Medical University of South Carolina;Hypertension Initiative
adr:P.O. Box 250951;;135 Rutledge Street Room 1112;Charleston;SC;29425;United States of America
email;internet:nida@xxxxxxxx
title:Systems Programmer II
tel;work:(843) 792-0831
tel;fax:(843) 792-0816