Re: dragonfly pdf documentation

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:38:35 +0800

424acdff$0$719$415eb37d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hummel Tom wrote:

>>For sure it will guarantee a more affordable
>>'entry price', lots more service revenue, and
>>an easy upgrade to AIX-5L, which has to be a
>>large part of the reason IBM love's Linux.
>

> Isn't the Linux JFS the FS fro OS/2? AFAIR AIX uses JFS2?
>
> tom

Yes and Yes.  JFS (1) was developed on the RS-6000.

JFS(2) was developed 'clean sheet' on OS/2, backported
to IBM Power architecture machines, but never renamed
to 'JFS2' on Warp.

> P.S. what makes ext3 so horriblly prone to dataloss?

Dunno that 'horribly' is a fair description.  So long as
nothing goes awry it should run for years w/o losing
a byte.  it is when things DO go pear-shaped that it
can bite.

Have never dug down into it, but playing the 'faster than'
game seems to have been the original contributor, as
that can call for compromises that are overly-reliant
on HDD and power never missing a beat.

Keeping in mind that many early Linux distros were
installed to FAT partitions, ext(n) may look pretty
good by *that* comparison.

But as long as XFS and JFS are available at the same
'price', and GPL'ed, it simply no longer matters.

FWIW, I would probably boot from and store webpages
on XFS and SQL DB's and other files on JFS even with
a *BSD - if the choice were there.

ReiserFS, OTOH, I would like to see get sorted
out someday - there are places it could be a
very good fit, as hpfs-386 still is, if *pricey*.
The license was ca US$ 695 per copy, IRRC,
and split between IBM and Redmond.

Bill